Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dont say I didn't warn you.

tomato towers, June 2010
And look!! There is some kale that our pet slugs missed.

Let's play a little game, shall we?

It's called Good Idea/Bad Idea. Ready? Yay! Here we go:

Good Idea: wanting some home-grown tomatoes
Bad Idea: fertilizing tomato seedlings.

Seriously? These things are MONSTERS. I go in and "prune" them about once a week. A more accurate statement would be that I hack these suckers back with The Man's machete, just so they don't swallow the Princess whole when she innocently ventures into the vegetable garden to water. Sheesh! They reached the top of their supports/towers in mid-June. Mid-June!! What am I supposed to do with them for the next 2-3 months?! We don't have any ripe tomatoes yet either... I'm guessing a few more weeks? I don't know, it's hard to tell.

This is a new raised bed garden and we filled it up with soil from the, um, pond we are attempting to dig. (I'm seeing another good idea/bad idea in my near future) So it wasn't super great soil or anything... we amended it with a few bags of composed manure, planted our plants, and went on with our merry lives. A month or so later I got it into my head (probably from reading some gardening magazine standing in line somewhere completely useless) that they needed MORE fertilizer. I made a special trip* to the nursery and picked up some fancy-pants organic tomato and vegetable granulated plant food, aka Glorified Rat Hash. Yup. It gets locked up in the vermin-proof shed after gardening time is over.

*Yeah, seriously. I only leave the house to go to the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment